Friday 15 January 2016

Birdman



Best Picture, oh Best Picture, you never let me down.  I scan the Oscar winners every year and come back saying “Never even HEARD of it” so often, then, after a viewing, almost always say "That was really good”.  Some Examples: The Artist,  The Hurt Locker, The King’s Speech, Slumdog Millionaire, Million Dollar Baby, and A Beautiful Mind.  Last year’s winner “Birdman” was no exception to this trend.   After seeing some trailers and whatnot, I was intrigued, then it fell off my radar.  Then Netflix had it streaming, I put it on “My List” and away it went again.  Finally, while I take a break from TV shows on Netflix, I decided to give this a try.  What a phenomenal movie.  I absolutely loved it.  I typically enjoy non main-stream films, I’m not bragging about it, but I prefer a good drama to the latest “shoot-em-up”.  I’m the complete opposite when it comes to video games.  Games I want less story, more action, but that’s probably because most game stories are just plain bad.  So while I’d take “Ted Who Lives at Home” over “The Avengers” , I’d much prefer “Call of Duty” to “The Witcher”.   Birdman strengthens my stance on this idea.  It has nothing to do with videogames, but everything to do with “meaningful” subject matter in film or on stage.  A man plagued by his history of doing big budget superhero movies trying to break free from personal demons and a history that haunts him.  Each cast member is fighting their own battle, and the movie just emphasises how self centered we all are.  Great acting, amazing cast and concept.  While I would have preferred a more definitive ending, I can’t help but give this my highest recommendation.




No comments:

Post a Comment