Tuesday 19 January 2016

Selma


Ignorance is bliss.  I say it often when overwhelmed by matters that I feel are greater than I am capable of changing.  Sounds pathetic, and in ways it is, yet it's merely a coping mechanism.  Not everyone is Martin Luther King, not everyone is capable of making great strides in change.  What I am capable of is being an example to those around me, speaking up when I feel the need, and moved to do so.  This is what I do, it's how I live my life.  I do not know a lot about the civil rights movement, so Selma was a history lesson for me more than any form of "entertainment".  I'm sure I would have enjoyed the movie more had I had more context, or knew about the subject matter.  As a movie on it's own, it was informative, thought provoking, and as white man, embarrassing. Do I recommend it on it's own merit's as a film?  No.  Do I recommend it as a vehicle to learn and know more about the issue, about history, about civil rights?  Absolutely. 






No comments:

Post a Comment